G.O.A.T. Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The funny farms journal

3 posters

Go down

The funny farms journal Empty The funny farms journal

Post by Thefunnyfarm Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

My family has a small five acre farm in Wakefield NH. It's still very funny to me to call our home a "farm" as it was not my intention 6-7 years ago!! I was your average mom taking children to school and keeping house but was quite average in my interests and slightly nieve to the world around me, then we got new neighbors Smile little did I know how much I was going to learn!! Our new neighbors came with some furry friends and a few feathered as well. I started visiting often with my small children and started to learn a little about farming and caring for animals. My neighbors had alpacas, Icelandic sheep,pigs, and chickens. It was great for myself and the children. After becoming quite good friends with our neighbors they started encouraging me to start having animals at first I felt I could never have such a big responsibility buy we ended up starting with chickens. Thinking 5 or 6 would be good I was surprised to find u could only order 25 or more. I figured well ok let's go with it!! The day our little chicks came I was hooked. I spent every minute sitting down in my basement with my small children taking care of those chicks!! It was great but I felt like I wanted MORE!! that's how it began!! I was then asked by my neighbors if I had any interest in 2 goats they knew someone moving who had two that they couldn't keep. They were 3 and nice wethers. I too picked them up in the back of my suv and brought them home. They lived in a makeshift house and roamed free all about my yard!! It was great but again I wanted more.... Along came my next group of wethers...4 to be exact!! So now I had 6 wethers my 25 chickens and although they were all great my husband thought I was crazy!!! 25 chickens and 6 goats and wasn't it funny we were farming but with a bunch of misfits who didn't provide for us in anyway!! That's where the name Funny farm came from. All that changed this year,
My children now ranging from 15 to 2 were finally big enough for me to be able to invest more time and I decided some does were in order on this farm Smile we searched high and low for a doe we could afford and were lucky enough to find someone local with a perfect little doe named "Coffee" we brought her home and within 3 weeks she shocked us and dropped twin bucklings!!!! We missed the moment but were so excited so began our love of the idea of breeding Nigerians!! We found a good home for Coffee's boys which broke my heart it is hard to say good bye to them when they are like your babies but we then went and purchAsed Ava a 3 yr old first time mama and her little doeling Autumn. Now we will breed Ava and Coffee hopefully in the next few weeks and we will sit back and wait for the sweet sounds of little kids in the spring!!!

Thefunnyfarm

Back to top Go down

The funny farms journal Empty Re: The funny farms journal

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:21 am

Sounds like a great start to your farm! Most people probably start out that way, unless you grew up on a farm. So happy you got to experience kids, wish I'd known Coffee was pregnant when I sold her to you but I'm glad everything worked out well Smile I would have felt terrible if she had trouble kidding. Good luck with your future endeavors in farming!
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

http://www.grownupnaturally.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinWright Farm Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:21 pm

How are your does doing, thefunnyfarm?

Our boy HighNote is definitely anxious to start his breeding career. He will be quite ecstatic to get his bill of health and then go visit your does! Smile
LivinWright Farm
LivinWright Farm
Admin

http://livinwrightfarm.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey! How are you goats doing? And yourself of course! Everyone keeping warm I hope in this bitter cold.
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinWright Farm Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes, yes, curious minds want to know how you are all doing! Wink
LivinWright Farm
LivinWright Farm
Admin

http://livinwrightfarm.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thefunnyfarm Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:45 pm

So sorry for the lack of response been off the virtual grid for a little bit Wink seems crazy there was such a thing as bitter cold..... I much prefer today 40 plus degrees as do the goats. They are butting and jumping and running up a storm today Smile you would think they were kids the way they are carrying on today. I love it!!! We have been very lucky around here and have had very little problem with our animals in the cold. We give them lots and lots of bedding and extra hay and everyone seems to adjust well. There were definitely alot of trips out for us humans to refill water buckets as they froze but all in all not too bad. But again I would much rather have this current temp!!! Makes being out pleasant!! I hope all of you are out enjoying the weather and your furry friends Smile

Thefunnyfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:40 pm

It has been a beautiful day out there! I'm glad everything is going well down your way Very Happy The goats sure have enjoyed the warmer weather today.
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down