G.O.A.T. Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand milking vs. Machine?

4 posters

Go down

Hand milking vs. Machine? Empty Hand milking vs. Machine?

Post by Thefunnyfarm Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I have been trying to decide what I wanted to do when I eventually get to the stage of milking. Does anyone or has anyone used the Henry Milker? I am really intrigued by it's simplicity but I notice everyone I see online is hand milking. I liked that the Henry milker is all completely contained so no chance of dirt and hair but then part of me feels it will lessen the experience of milking? Although might save time? Would love to hear what works for everyone.

Thefunnyfarm

Back to top Go down

Hand milking vs. Machine? Empty Re: Hand milking vs. Machine?

Post by Ariel301 Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:20 am

I have not used it myself, but I have heard bad things about it. I've been told that because it does not have a pulsator like a standard milking machine, it cuts off circulation to the teats. Basically, it squeezes constantly, while a pulsator machine squeezes and releases, mimicking hand milking or nursing, and allowing blood flow.

I've used both hand and an antique Surge cow milking system that was modified to milk four goats at a time. I like both. If I had more than six or so to milk, the cost of the machine would be worth it to me, and since I have problems with my hands, I will probably eventually have to use a machine anyway. I think a unit meant for one cow (then modified for one or two goats) runs about $500.

Ariel301

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 am

Hoegger's Supply carries goat milking machines. I've never used a milking machine but have never had more than 3 milking goats at a time.

Let us know how you like it if you decide to get one!

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

http://www.grownupnaturally.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinWright Farm Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:16 pm

I have looked into the EZMilker, even though I am doing fine with milking so far, and have heard mixed reviews. Some say that it too is bad for them because it doesn't pulsate, but most of them have never used one to know for sure if it creates a problem with teat circulation or not. And then I have heard raving reviews about how fast & simple it is to use, especially for people with arthritis. They are MUCH cheaper than the powered milking machines, not just in cost, but in the fact that you don't have to use electricity to use them.

I would like to find a vet that has had experience with them, and get their opinion... or maybe find someone willing to run a comparison test with their herd, to see if there are any differences in teat appearance post milking using all 3 methods (hand milking, EZMilker, milking machine). Who knows, there might actually be more damage done by the milking machines, due to them not being made for goats' teats, but cows'.
LivinWright Farm
LivinWright Farm
Admin

http://livinwrightfarm.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum