G.O.A.T. Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family.

3 posters

Go down

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Empty Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family.

Post by mzyla Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Some of us live in less predator populated territory and some live where lots of farm animals fall prey to carnivorous species, such coyotes, bob cats, raccoons, foxes, hawks, owls, stray dogs, etc…

There are a lot of tears shaded by farm people when their bellowed chicken, or goat or house pet gets killed or wounded by these night (or day) plunders.

Sometimes the loss could be substantial.

Our ancestors, hundred of years ago remedy such situation by keeping Livestock Guardian dogs.

A good Livestock Guardian is essential for a farmer. But, not every or any Guardian Dog is suitable for certain duty.

For a success and happiness of both (farmer and a dog) there must be a match!

Matching your needs with a dog’s physical and mental ability.

There have to be right disposition for given circumstances.

If you have just a poultry, you don’t want a high prey drive breed, such Spaniels, Husky, Terriers, Hounds…

If you rise goats together with poultry, which is the scenario for most of us,

You want a well balanced dog. A dog that have the lowest prey drive and good work ethics.

First dog that comes to mind and falls into this category is Great Pyrenees;

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Misiu-10

Please REMEMBER:

It is a MYTH, that baby-Pyrs have to be isolated from humans to be a successful livestock guardians.

This is tragic misinformation, passed from people to people including Forums.

If you listen to such a gossip, you will end up with human fearing dog.

How you suppose to handle this dog (taking him to vet for example)?

How you suppose to train him without bonding with him?

The TRUTH is the opposite; A well balanced Guardian MUST be exposed to humans at the early age and always!

Petted and loved dog is more happy and well-adjusted guardian!

Also REMEMBER these two words:

Genetics and Environment play the biggest role in a pups future.

Don't hesitate to love your dog - he will love you back - twice!

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Misiu-11
mzyla
mzyla

http://catskillfarming.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Empty Re: Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family.

Post by stano40 Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:12 pm

At last someone who appreciates a dog and what they can do for us. Best friends ever.
stano40
stano40

Back to top Go down

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Empty Re: Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family.

Post by mzyla Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm

It is most joyful feeling to watch every morning at 8:30 AM (from my kitchen window) when my grand-daughter is walking to the school bus (on our loooong driveway) and my Misha-Pyr is walking right besides her.

He wait till she is gone inside of a bus and then he is majestically walking back home.

(I'm like ready to jump in case he goes further on a street, but he is not, so far)

Since goats are still sleeping, this is one more duty he picks on by himself.

I have to remember to make a picture of it!
mzyla
mzyla

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 am

That is wonderful Smile We chose a donkey for our herd guardian and he has successful kept a number of coyotes at bay. Anything that goes into the pasture will be chased or stomped. We do watch him for any aggression with the goats or kids but so far he has been very careful with them. We haven't had him long, got him back in October.
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

http://www.grownupnaturally.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by mzyla Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Every morning my LG is walking granddaughter to school bus.

I'm watching them from kitchen window...

Goats are still locked in a barn, so he's got jobless on a morning and he pick this extra duty on his own.

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Misha-10

Dog that Guard Goats, Poultry and a Family. Misha-11
mzyla
mzyla

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm

That's wonderful she does that everyday Smile Does she get confused on weekends? Or has she figured out the schedule?
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by mzyla Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Ha ha...That's "him". Misha is Russian name for Bear. No, we not Russians, but nevertheless we like that name, it suits him.

Yes, every morning like a Swiss clock!

On weekends, we got different schedule;

Mommy is going shopping and they waiting patiently for these goodies, they will be getting; chicken fingers, pig feets, beef bones, pork bones with meat on them....

As you mentioned the word "SCHEDULE" is very important in animal's live. They know what and when to expect. They behave much better when everything works the same way day after day...

Disrupted schedule is creating haos and disorientation for animals.
mzyla
mzyla

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsDieselEngineer Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:44 pm

LOL, HIM Smile It's wonderful how good he is at his job.

Yes, schedules are very important with any working dog. My australian cattle dog knows what time the goats get fed and makes sure I don't forget, LOL he is always bugging me as soon as it's time to feed or even to just go check them.
MrsDieselEngineer
MrsDieselEngineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down