G.O.A.T. Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting out

3 posters

Go down

Starting out Empty Starting out

Post by Thefunnyfarm Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm

So I figured I should ask on here for all starting out herd owners to see. I am trying to start my own small herd of goats Smile but it's not possible for me to keep a buck so I will have to hire out a stud. How do people go about finding such a service and how do you book it? And if you have a large number of does with different cycles how do you schedule it out? And what are the signs to know when breeding is possible? I've been told it can be a very small window of opportunity.

Thefunnyfarm

Back to top Go down

Starting out Empty Re: Starting out

Post by LivinWright Farm Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:42 pm

We have been trying to contact you about this.
We bumped into Brennan at Tractor Suply Co. And she told us about your contacting us through our website. We sent you an email and have been waiting to hear back from you Wink

As for signs of heat:
- Flagging(swishing of the tail repeatedly)
- Some does exhibit goo from their vulva
-Some does will even mount other does or let other does mount them.

For Nigerian Dwarfs they cycle like humans do, every 21-28 days. Some will even be as short as 18 days between cycles, though it isn't common.
LivinWright Farm
LivinWright Farm
Admin

http://livinwrightfarm.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mvdairygoatsnh Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:45 pm

I looked to my goat friends first. If that doesn't work, I go to the breeder that my does came from. I found most of my breeder people on Craigslist. You can also look on the breed registry website - generally they have a list of breeders.
Some people will be willing to keep the does for you, for a fee, some will make you do a day trip.
Day trips are a pain, but you don't have to worry about your doe. I had 3 doe bred out this year. Brought each individually on the day they were in heat.
Signs can range- you can have a doe that has a "silent" heat, where she shows no signs, all the way to a doe who screams her head off, tail wagging, "blubbering", mounting other does, puffy/flush "back regions", or just acting off.
They can be in heat for a few hours to a few days. Usually mine are in heat for 2-3 days, though I have one that is only in heat for about 1 day.
mvdairygoatsnh
mvdairygoatsnh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thefunnyfarm Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I know admin!! I am going to call( hand over face with embarrassment) I am a super procrastinator and also have loud children in the house and loud goats outside it!! I just figured I'd put it up for other people with the same questions!! I think I have my Coffee and Ava patterned as they are having my wethers mount them and are allowing it!! I've noticed that it is the first week in a month for Coffee and second week for Ava!! I will be in touch. I'll try to call beginning of the week Smile

Thefunnyfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by Thefunnyfarm Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:29 pm

P.S. I am loving this forum!!!! Thank you so much for starting it!! I've become addicted!! Love reading all that people have to post!!

Thefunnyfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinWright Farm Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:48 pm

No problemo Wink We were just starting to wonder if the messages were actually reaching you or not. Glad to know they they did in fact reach you. Very Happy

We fully understand what kids of both kinds can be like. LOL

We're glad that you are enjoying this forum! You and everyone else that joins here are SO welcome! Let us know if there is ever anything you think we should add for a section or catagory Wink (that goes to all of our members Wink
LivinWright Farm
LivinWright Farm
Admin

http://livinwrightfarm.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum